You may already know about the library’s great collection of ebooks and audiobooks. We use a service called OverDrive. You can borrow and download books, then read or listen on your computer, ereader, smartphone, or tablet. It’s totally free, and is just one more way the library saves you money!
If you’re headed to the beach this summer, on a long flight or road trip, or just looking for something to read and don’t want to make the trip to the library, now is the time to start using this great resource. With a library card, it just takes minutes to set up!
Why are we plugging this now? The library signed up for an OVERDRIVE CHALLENGE for the month of June! If the number of OverDrive books checked out is high enough, we’ll be eligible for some great prizes, including an OverDrive Media Station for use in the library. This will allow you to browse the library’s selection of ebooks and audiobooks right in our lobby, and save a title to send to your device!
We’re hoping to beat our best month by 50%. So, if you’re new to OverDrive, see instructions below to get started. If you’re already a power user, it’s time to step up your game! We’re reading on our lunch breaks, listening while we cook dinner, and reading again to our kids at night!
Bottom Line: Check out and download FREE audiobooks and ebooks, help the library! It’s a win-win situation.
How do I get started?
1. Get out your library card!
2. Have a smartphone or tablet? Download the free Overdrive app and sign in to your library (enter Portsmouth Public Library and you’ll be connected to the state collection, NH Downloadable Books). You can check out, download and read in the app (or the Kindle app)!
3. Have an ereader? Visit nh.lib.overdrive.com and sign in to your library. You can check out and send to your Kindle, or download and add to your Nook.
4. For further instructions, visit OverDrive Help and select your device from the list.
5. Need more help? Drop in to the library, or call us at 603-427-1540 to make a Device Help appointment! We’re happy to answer any questions, troubleshoot errors, or take you through downloading a book for the first time.
PS: If you’re thinking of buying an ereader or tablet for yourself or a loved one, now’s a great time. The library can even help you with wrapping! Drop in this month to pick up a FREE gift bag, with all the information you need inside to start downloading free books. Insert new Kindle or iPad, and your gift is ready!